Ricaredo Demetillo was born on June 20, 1920 in Dumangas, Iloilo. He was a poet, essayist and critic who graduated cum laude in AB English, 1947 in the University of the Philippines; School of Letters, Bloomington, Indiana; MFA in English and Creative Writing in State University of Iowa in 1952. He married Angelita Demetillo.
Some of his publications include:
- No Certain Weather (1956, poetry)
- La Via (1959, poetry)
- Golden Jubilee Ode Libretto (1959)
- Barter in Panay (1961, 1984)
- Daedalus and Other Poems (1961)
- The Authentic Voice of Poetry (1962)
- Masks and Signatures (1968)
- The Heart of Emptiness is Black (1973)
- Lazarus Troubador (1974)
- The City and the Thread of Light
He was a scholar of SU in Presbyterian and International in 1949; fellow of Rockefeller Foundation in 1952; Pro Patria Awardee in 1961; Republic Cultural Heritage Awardee in 1968; UP Golden Jubilee for Poetry, Art Association, and Palanca Awardee in 1972, 1973 and 1974; Rizal Centennial Awardee; and Gawad Balagtas in 1991.