LIKHAAN: The University of the Philippines Institute of Creative Writing (UP ICW) is now accepting applications for the 57th UP National Writers Workshop to be held in April 2018. The workshop aims to help published writers further hone their craft. Writers from the regions outside NCR are encouraged to apply. All fellows are entitled to a modest stipend and free hotel accommodation.
1) Applicants must be writers in English, Filipino or other Philippine languages (in translation)
2) They must have attended at least one creative writing workshop (national/regional, including the UP National Writers Workshops), or earned a degree in Creative Writing/Malikhaing Pagsulat or related fields, or won at least one national/international literary award. Writers who have been fellows at any of the UP National Writers Workshops are eligible.
3) Applicants must have published at least one book of poetry, fiction, nonfiction or drama, or have had a full-length play or a film produced. (The qualifications may be waived in exceptionally meritorious cases, with the unanimous concurrence of the UP ICW Fellows, Associates, and Advisers.)
1) Five copies, plus digital file (12 points, Times New Roman font, double-spaced, 8 1/2 x 11) of one original unpublished manuscript (short story, poem, creative nonfiction, play, or novel) to be discussed during the workshop. Submissions should not exceed 6,000 words.
2) Five copies, plus digital file (12 points, Times New Roman font, double-spaced, 8 1/2 x 11) of an essay on “What I write, how, and why” in relation to the work-in-progress. The essay must be no longer than 2,500 words and will be the basis for a 20-minute presentation that the fellow is expected to do during the workshop.
3) Photocopies of the applicant’s published work, including publication details
4) Application form (available at the UP ICW office in UP Diliman, or downloadable from the ICW-maintained website http://www.panitikan.com.ph).
Only writers who go through the complete application process will be considered. The chosen fellows must be present for the full duration of the week-long workshop.
The deadline for submission is 30 September 2017.
The workshop panel is comprised of the Advisers, Fellows, and Associates of the UP ICW. They are National Artists for Literature Virgilio S. Almario and Bienvenido Lumbera, UP ICW Director Roland B. Tolentino, Gémino H. Abad, Romulo P. Baquiran, Jr., Luna Sicat Cleto, Jose Y. Dalisay Jr., Eugene Y. Evasco, J. Neil Garcia, Vladimeir B. Gonzales, Cristina Pantoja Hidalgo, Victor Emmanuel Carmelo Nadera Jr., Charlson Ong, and Jun Cruz Reyes. ICW Associate Isabelita O. Reyes is the director of the 2018 workshop.
For inquiries, call the ICW at 9818500 loc. 2117, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For more news about the latest UP ICW activities follow our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/upicw/.